As I have worked with couples in private-practice, I have noticed a couple things about couples who come in and see me:
- They have never once considered therapy and have no idea what to expect.
- They have had awful experiences with therapists/counselors in the past.
While the first can be expected, I want to eliminate the second. Here’s what to look for:
Understand What You Need
When you are looking for a good, quality marriage therapist be on the lookout for several things:
- Are they trained as a couples and marital therapist?
- Is couples and marriage their specialty? How much training do they have? Are they continuing their education in marital therapy?
- Do they have training in and use proven evidence and research-based models?
- You need to understand how they are going to walk with you through your marriage and your life. Do they offer longer therapy sessions for couples to address needs adequately?
- Is the majority of their case load couples?
- This number should be close to (if not exceeding) 50% of cases. You want a marriage therapist that sees couples!
- Is your therapist working for you, or your insurance company?
- Marital and couples therapy is an investment of time and finances. Look for a therapist that is focused and dedicated to you – not your insurance company. Most insurance companies do not consider marital problems a mental illness, rather “normal life stresses” that do not require a mental diagnosis.
- Look for a Leader
- Most counselors and therapist are good hearted people. They entered into this career to help people. However, some error on the side of passivity and telling you what you want to hear rather than what you need to hear.
- Do they have practical, achievable goals and a plan of action for you and your partner?
Since I am the one writing this article, it may help if I have all of these attributes that I am talking about, but don’t take my word for it. Dr. Kathy McMahon has been training therapists for over 30 years. Listen to what she has to say about finding the right fit for you.
I have made couples and martial therapy my sole niche with extensive training in other family related issues. The passion I have to help couples fuels the urgency to spread the word for how to make relationships, marriages and families be healthier so that people may live happier and healthier lives. Help me spread the word to couples all over!
Questions? Call 317-572-7411 or Send an Email