Our relationships with those we love are significant in a lot of different ways. Our relationships influence our behavior, personality, our emotions, opinions and convictions. Marriage is a relationship that may be the most important bond we have as human beings and preparing for marriage is important.
So why marriage? You may be pondering marriage, months away from your own ceremony or settling into your new life as a newlywed, but marriage was God’s design from the beginning. As we develop in our marriage relationship, we look to scripture for God’s purpose for marriage.
To answer the question of “why marriage?” God gives us three purposes for marriage:
- Purpose #1: Mutually Complete One Another
- Through differences and similarities, God “pieces” couples together. These qualities, quirks, characteristics, and even weaknesses mutually “fit” together to create a bond like no other. When God calls us to marriage, he provides a spouse who, by divine design, will complete you.
- Purpose #2: Multiply a Godly Legacy
- In Psalm 127, Solomon writes, “Certainly children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children in one’s youth…” What a privilege and honor that God gives us! God’s plan calls for the home to sort of a “greenhouse,” a nurturing environment where children grow up to learn character, values and integrity.
- Purpose #3: Mirror God’s Image
- In the book of Genesis, God says, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.” God created us to know Him and understand the context of his plans for our lives.
When a man and a woman place God within the center of their relationship, they reflect his image. They will allow those around them to witness the love that God has for each and every person. Within marriage, we have the opportunity to mutually complete our spouse, continue or even create a Godly legacy in our families and reflect and magnify God’s image and share with everybody we may come into contact with.
Of course, there is so much more to discuss within the subject of marriage. Maybe you are months away from stating your own vows or been married for years. Maybe you are just wondering if there is even someone out there for you. Regardless of your story or circumstances, God has a plan for your life – He has a plan for your relationships.
As you read this, maybe you have some questions about your future with a significant other or you future spouse. Following through with answering questions may be the most important thing you do for your self, your marriage and your children. If you are in or around the Indianapolis area, I would love the opportunity to speak with you. You may contact me by email or by calling 317-572-7411